Architectural details uncovered during restoration indicate the Prud'homme-Rouquier Home was built in 1806. It is located on property belonging to Francois Rouquier of North Carolina, acquired through a Spanish land grant between 1764 and 1800. In 1778, Rouquier married Marie Louise Prud'homme, daugher of Jean Baptiste Prud'homme, "Doctor of the King", and an important figure in Natchitoches history. Francois Rouquier was a very wealthy landowner, and his home was considered a showplace of its time, containing more elaborate architectural details than other structures in the area.
After Rouquier's death in 1811, the home was sold to his daughter, Marie Louise Henrietta Rouquier, and her husband, Judge John C. Carr, a wealthy plantation owner and prominent citizen. During the decade following 1835, they extensively remodeled the house. The staircase and more ornate wood molding throughout were probably added at that time.
The League restored the house to this 1825 to 1840 period, the earliest documented period of architectural significance. Extreme care has been taken to preserve all original architectural details, including the cypress doors throughout. The pegged cypress beams and exposed bousillage designate the structure of the walls in the rear rooms.
The Prud'homme-Rouquier House was purchased by the League in 1976. The major restoration of the home is possible with several sources of funding. The service oriented organization has initiated a major fundraising campaign to solicit individuals, businesses and corporations for contributions. Additionally, several grants have been awarded from local, state, and national sources. Among them is the prestigious Save America's Treasures Historic Preservation Fund, through the U.S. Department of the Interior and the National Park Service. Save America's Treasures is a public-private initiative between the White House Millennium Council, the National Park Service and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Matching funds for grants are obtained from the sale of the League's award winning cookbooks, Cane River Cuisine and Louisiana Living.
Originally the house consisted of two main rooms and a central hall with front and rear galleries on each of the two floors. A cook-house and carriage-house were located behind the main house. As part of the restoration, the League erected a rear wall enclosing the galleries to provide more interior space.